Friday, February 8, 2008

Winter has created too much time for my mind to roam.

Do bikes have a soul? I don’t think so. This is an old argument and I’ve heard numerous philosophical positions on this topic but lately nobody seems to care. Some say that any bike coming from a mass-produced factory in the Orient can’t possibly have a soul. They argue that only a bike crafted by an artisan in ways secret and sacred can be infused with a soul from the builders’ hands.


Gary Fisher once commented that the ‘soul’ is not in the bike but in the experiences relating to that specific bike. That seems to gel with me but it avoids the argument altogether and diverges into making the bicycle a vehicle for an experience rather than an inanimate object seeming to posses life.


So while I don’t think a bike has a soul, there are a few among the 50 or so nice bicycles that I have owned that I really miss. One of those was my Serotta Ti-Max. It was just all-around bicycle goodness. It was titanium when titanium was the new wonder stuff that Zeus’ staff must have been made from. Waay lighter than any steel. But, noticeably more compliant than any aluminum bike (all mountain bikes were hard tails at this time). A co-worker bought and pimped out a custom Independent Fabrications Deluxe. Shimano XTR brand new Crossmax wheels, Syncros crome-moly crank, etc. It was a beautiful bike and one of the first crafted from Reynolds 853 steel. We rode the same pedals and swapped bikes one ride. We kept our observations to ourselves until the end and then compared notes. We both thought my bike was noticeably stiffer and quicker.


Those that think titanium is whippy have not ridden all titanium. I’ve ridden ti that is as stiff as the numerous Kleins I’ve owned. The Ti-Max was not uber stiff but just right. Fast, lively and solid. Straight-gauge tubing manipulated by Serotta into Colorado Concept shapes. I had great rides on that bike and was probably at the peak of my strength as far as being a go-fast rider. It’s green and plum colored. A weird color combination yes, it was done as a one-off paint to be a show bike.

It is now happily being ridden about by an intrepid local cyclist. Let’s call him ‘Jim’. If you see it out there take note, it’s a great example of how alive a bike can be.

No comments: