Monday, February 4, 2008

Good times and 60 degrees in Phoenix.

I got to spend nine days in sunny Phoenix, AZ after Christmas. I made it through the Holidays and couldn’t wait to get away to where I could actually ride some bikes. I was able to remember that I really like my Bianchi Rita 29er single speed, road biking is really fun, and my Scott Ransom rules.

I also bumped into the crew from BH/Pivot bikes. I rendezvoused with Jeff Baugh of Al’s Cyclery fame and glory and we went out and tackled South Mountain. The Pivot crew saw me and I said 'hi' and I knew would be roped into a ride with them. So a couple of days later I went out with Chris Cocalis of Titus/Pivot fame and Kenny-national sales manager for DT Swiss. Chris Cocalis goes down hill really fast. On bikes that are more XC with only 4” of travel and 2.35” tires, I definitely had no chance-no prayer of staying with him. Granted, his trails, his bikes but he is a smooth, skilled rider. At least I would have been faster on any climbs if there were any.

Rode the Pivot Cycles Mach 4. This is a 4” XC DW Link bike. Rides great. I had a chance to ride one at Interbike as well. The second ride told me I wasn’t totally in tune with the bike but a few more rides and I think I would have been as comfortable as I am on anything.

I also got a cooks' tour of the Pivot Cycles facility. It’s new, clean and tidy. Pivot is prototyping a big-hit bike as well as a full-sus 29er. You heard it here first! Should have some cool stuff by next fall. BH bikes looks good as well. The new G4 will be under a Pro-Tour squad this year. Kenny showed us a new DT Swiss full-carbon xc race wheel: holy smokes.

So my take of the vacation: getting to take some time off at Christmas-well worth it; nine days in 50-70 weather-very nice, riding with industry influencers because they all want me as their customer? Priceless.


No comments: